Nav area code

Retro Restyling - Restore - Restyle - Repurpose
Retro Restyling on FacebookRetro Restyling on TwitterRetro Restyling on PinterestRetro Restyling on Instagram

Friday, December 14, 2012

Well That's Pinteresting | Homemade No-Grate Liquid Laundry Detergent

For about a month I took some time in the evenings to research ways to save money by creating our own homemade items. I'm still doing research and messing with fickle recipes, but in the end even the "store label brands" like Wal-Mart's "EQUATE" won't hold up to the savings I am getting from making homemade products. Thank goodness I did my research when I did because we ended up running out of laundry soap and I was totally against spending more money on store bought stuff.

Seriously you guys, this is the simplest recipe ever for homemade liquid laundry soap.

I originally found the No-Grate Liquid Laundry Detergent pin on Pinterest (the mecca of all wonderful ideas) and decided to try it out.


I thought to myself:
I'm so excited. That I just can't hide it. And I know, I know, I know, I know I'm going to save money. Money.

What I bought at Wal-Mart:

1 Box of BORAX - $3.38
1 Box of Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda - $3.24
1 super big bottle of blue DAWN Advanced Ultra Soap - $8.XX

****I bought the bottle of DAWN at Cosco so you won't need a huge one and regular sized ones run a few bucks at Wal-Mart

I already had on hand:

Water
A tablespoon measuring spoon
An old container to use for the new laundry detergent - nothing bigger than 1 gallon

(FYI: Tandil is the generic ALDI version for TIDE. If, for some reason, you don't trust this recipe go to ALDI, if you have one, and buy the Tandil. It's like almost $7 which is WAAAY cheaper than TIDE but works just as well.)



Ok... here it goes... this is so simple... are you ready?

Here's the recipe:

3 Tablespoons BORAX
3 Tablespoons Arm & Hammer Super Washing Soda
2 Tablespoons blue DAWN






Once you have all of your ingredients in add your 3 cups of HOT water.




Mix it well with a wooden spoon or let it sit and cool off just so the ingredients melt well. I would not suggest shaking it, you don't want a ton of bubbles. After it cools, stir well if you haven't already, and fill your container up with water slowly until all the bubbles come out.




TA DAAAAH!!!

You now have new homemade liquid laundry soap for fractions of what it costs to buy at the store. And when I saw fractions, I mean FRACTIONS... it's ridiculously cheap.

I use a half cup per load in my HE machine.



TIP TIME

1.
I personally double the recipe. I'm sure a regular recipe would suffice, but for some reason it was too watery for me so I doubled it. It's probably just my "so use to thicker laundry soap" brain making me do it because others have successfully used the thinner version.

2.
Regardless if you use a more concentrated version like I am, or you go with the original recipe, it will work. I promise. At first you'll think... no way, look at this stuff, it's so watery. But I swear on the life of my HE washing machine, it will work. It even works as a mixture with bleach when you run a load of whites.

3.
Whether you double it or not, you're still saving an ungodly amount of money. I mean, look at the prices of the supplies! We're talking maybe $9 total and you probably won't need to repurchase new supplies for A YEAR. 

4.
If you're like me you're use to the thicker detergent. Starting out I couldn't tell you how many times I put this detergent into the dispenser at a million miles an hour only to loose 90% of it as it splashed out of the dispenser and onto the floor. Take it from me, slow down when you pour it.

5.
If you are worried about soap suds, fahgetaboutit. You'll get none. Nothing will set off your suds alarm on your washer. But with that said, you don't need SUDS to clean clothes either. You'll notice when you take the clothes out of the washing machine they will smell clean.


There ya go! Super cheap! Super easy! Super super!
If you decide to make some, let me know in the comments below!!

Make sure to pin one of my pictures from this post please!!!

Have a great weekend everyone!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Thanks for leaving me a comment! They make me feel all warm and fuzzy on the inside! :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails